Mold growth can begin in your home because of excess moisture in the air or a water leak. If you notice that you have a water leak or that there is excess moisture in the air because you don't turn the vents on in the bathroom when using the shower, for example, then you will probably have to deal with mold cleanup. First off, you need to take care of the water leak and clean up water and moisture in the home before you actually begin cleaning up any mold growth. From here, you will need to
- Ventilate: After you have cleaned up excess moisture and water in the home, you will want to open doors and windows and turn on any ceiling fans. This is going to help ventilate the space and dry out any trapped water or moisture in the home. This is important for mold cleanup because it will help prevent mold from thriving in the moist, wet conditions of the home. Mold cannot grow in dry climates.
- Scrub Contaminated Areas: All areas that you see mold growth, you will want to scrub at it with soap and hot water. Once the areas have been scrubbed down, you need to rinse it with cold water.
- Disinfect: Once you have scrubbed down the contaminated areas and rinsed with cold water, you need to disinfect it with a mixture of bleach and water. You can apply the bleach mixture with a rag. During this part of the cleanup, you will need to wear protective gloves, a mask, and eyewear since bleach can be dangerous to your health.
- Let Dry: Instead of rinsing the bleach, you want it to dry naturally. This can take up to eight hours and you probably don't want to be in your home during this time since the vapors from the bleach can be dangerous to breathe in.
- Vacuum: Once you return to your home, you should be able to vacuum any carpet that had been contaminated and cleaned. This will help to soak up any moisture that is left. Also, continue to keep your home ventilated for a day or two.
Doing this mold cleanup on your own can be simple. However, if you are pregnant or the mold damage is excessive, then you may want to hire professionals like Central Flood Management Inc since they will use specialized mold removal equipment that can get the job done faster with no health risks to you.Share